More changes are coming to the National Flood Insurance Program.
This new video summarizes the changes to the NFIP Flood Insurance Manual that took effect on April 1, 2016. Many of these changes are a result of the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014 and the continued implementation of Biggert-Waters 2012.
What You Will Learn
Significant recent changes to the NFIP covered in this video include:
- Elimination of subsidies for certain Pre-FIRM properties with policies that lapse and are reinstated
- Further guidance for determining building occupancy
- Revised definition for business buildings
- Additional instructions for Pre-FIRM buildings that were substantially improved on or after April 1, 2015
- Updated Elevation Certificate and Non-Residential Floodproofing Certificate
Suggested Additional Reading
FEMA periodically issues WYO Program Bulletins related to legislative changes and clarifications to the NFIP Flood Insurance Manual. FEMA recently published Bulletin w-16022 – October 1, 2016 Program Changes.
Free Online Flood Insurance Courses
The NFIP offers free online courses covering basic and advanced flood insurance topics through the FEMA Emergency Management Institute’s Independent Study Program. Visit the NFIP Training pages for agents orclaims adjusters for course details, or view this list of NFIP coursesoffered through the Independent Study Program.